Switching from Long-Acting Injectable Antipsychotics
Cumulative Paliperidone Plasma Concentration from INVEGA® ER
Cumulative active moiety concentration of risperidone + 9-OH-risperidone (paliperidone) from RISPERDAL
Cumulative Paliperidone Plasma Concentration
Individual Dose Curves
Median Plasma Concentration for Oral INVEGA® ER 6-12 mg/day
Week 1 = Day 8
Graph Information^ Back to Top
Switching from Long-acting Injectable Antipsychotics
Consistent with the INVEGA SUSTENNA® Prescribing Information:
- There are no systematically collected data to specifically address switching patients with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder from other antipsychotics to INVEGA SUSTENNA®, or concerning concomitant administration with other antipsychotics.
- For patients who have never taken oral paliperidone or oral or injectable risperidone, tolerability should be established with oral paliperidone or oral risperidone prior to initiating treatment with INVEGA SUSTENNA®.
- When switching patients currently at steady-state on a long-acting injectable antipsychotic, initiate INVEGA SUSTENNA® therapy in place of the next scheduled injection. INVEGA SUSTENNA® should then be continued at monthly intervals.
- The recommended initiation dosing regimen (234 mg followed by 156 mg one week later, both in the deltoid muscle) is not required.
- The INVEGA SUSTENNA® Prescribing Information [http://www.janssenlabels.com/package-insert/product-monograph/prescribing-information/INVEGA+SUSTENNA-pi.pdf] recommends a monthly maintenance dose for schizophrenia of 117 mg. Some patients may benefit from lower or higher maintenance doses within the additional available strengths (39 mg, 78 mg, 156 mg, and 234 mg).
- Monthly maintenance doses can be administered in either the deltoid or gluteal muscle.
- Administration: Each injection must be administered only by a healthcare professional. INVEGA SUSTENNA® is intended for intramuscular use only. Do not administer by any other route. Avoid inadvertent injection into a blood vessel.