Switching from Long-Acting Injectable Antipsychotics
Cumulative Paliperidone Plasma Concentration from INVEGA® ER
Cumulative active moiety concentration of risperidone + 9-OH-risperidone (paliperidone) from RISPERDAL
Cumulative Paliperidone Plasma Concentration
Individual Dose Curves
Median Plasma Concentration for Oral INVEGA® ER 6-12 mg/day
Week 1 = Day 8
Graph Information^ Back to Top
Switching from Long-acting Injectable Antipsychotics
Consistent with the INVEGA SUSTENNA® Prescribing Information:
- There are no systematically collected data to specifically address switching patients with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder from other antipsychotics to INVEGA SUSTENNA®, or concerning concomitant administration with other antipsychotics.
- For patients who have never taken oral paliperidone or oral or injectable risperidone, tolerability should be established with oral paliperidone or oral risperidone prior to initiating treatment with INVEGA SUSTENNA®.
- When switching patients currently at steady-state on a long-acting injectable antipsychotic, initiate INVEGA SUSTENNA® therapy in place of the next scheduled injection. INVEGA SUSTENNA® should then be continued at monthly intervals.
- The recommended initiation dosing regimen (234 mg followed by 156 mg in the deltoid muscle one week later) is not required.
- The INVEGA SUSTENNA® Prescribing Information [http://www.janssenlabels.com/package-insert/product-monograph/prescribing-information/INVEGA+SUSTENNA-pi.pdf] recommends adjustment of the monthly maintenance dose for schizoaffective disorder based on tolerability and/or efficacy using available strengths. The 39 mg strength was not studied in the long-term schizoaffective disorder study.
- For subjects randomized to INVEGA SUSTENNA® in the long-term schizoaffective disorder study, the distribution of monthly maintenance doses was 78 mg (4.9%), 117 mg (9.8%), 156 mg (47.0%), and 234 mg (38.4%).
- Monthly maintenance doses can be administered in either the deltoid or gluteal muscle.
- Administration: Each injection must be administered only by a healthcare professional. INVEGA SUSTENNA® is intended for intramuscular use only. Do not administer by any other route. Avoid inadvertent injection into a blood vessel.