INVEGA SUSTENNA® Common Dosing and Administration Topics
Switching from Other Antipsychotics
From Long-Acting Injectable Antipsychotic to INVEGA SUSTENNA® - Initiation – Oral Antipsychotic Overlap Not Required
Consistent with the INVEGA SUSTENNA® Prescribing Information:
- There are no systematically collected data to specifically address switching patients with schizoaffective disorder from other antipsychotics to INVEGA SUSTENNA®, or concerning concomitant administration with other antipsychotics.
- For patients who have never taken oral paliperidone or oral or injectable risperidone, tolerability should be established with oral paliperidone or oral risperidone prior to initiating treatment with INVEGA SUSTENNA®.
- When switching patients currently at steady-state on a long-acting injectable antipsychotic, initiate INVEGA SUSTENNA® therapy in place of the next scheduled injection. INVEGA SUSTENNA® should then be continued at monthly intervals.
- The recommended initiation dosing regimen (234 mg/156 mg on Day 1/Day 8) is not required.
- The INVEGA SUSTENNA® Prescribing Information [http://www.janssenlabels.com/package-insert/product-monograph/prescribing-information/INVEGA+SUSTENNA-pi.pdf] recommends adjustment of the monthly maintenance dose for schizoaffective disorder based on tolerability and/or efficacy using available strengths. The 39 mg strength was not studied in the long-term schizoaffective disorder study.
- For subjects randomized to INVEGA SUSTENNA® in the long-term schizoaffective disorder study, the distribution of monthly maintenance doses was 78 mg (4.9%), 117 mg (9.8%), 156 mg (47.0%), and 234 mg (38.4%).
- Monthly maintenance doses can be administered in either the deltoid or gluteal muscle.
For illustrative displays of this dosing scenario, please click the link(s) below.